Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So This is the New Year....

...and I don't feel any different." ( from Death Cab For Cutie's 'New Year' from their best album to date, 'Transatlanticism')

Happy New Year! Okay, so we're two weeks late. You know how the holiday season goes.

Laura and I were able to celebrate 2009 and the year in pop music properly over the holidays, I feel. As she mentioned, she did indeed "wake up in the morning feeling like P.Diddy" a la Ke$ha after my Christmas party, which in my mind, is a Christmas party well done.

Between Christmas and New Year's we both took to the great state of Ohio- me to stay with my family and Laura to visit the bf's fam (btw- I gifted my father with the great gift of Lady Gaga, Green Day- he's a fan-and the Bob Dylan Christmas album for Christmas. As I believe I've said before, pop music runs in our blood! And he was GRATEFUL for the Gaga, I'll have you know!)

Laura and I were able to meet up for a whirlwind trip to the Rock Hall. It had to happen. I had to laugh when I saw that Colbie Caillat's tank top and macrame pull-over from the likes of Hollister had been added in the "New and Now" section along with some Modest Mouse, Fesit, and Sara Barallies paraphernalia. (You know, GOOD MUSIC. ;)

I think I may have mentioned this in October- the last time I visited the Hall with a friend- I get a little giddy (okay A LOT giddy) everytime I stand in front of Jim Morrison's Christmas Cards to his parents, Jimi Hendrix's cartoon drawings, and John Lennon's original lyrics for A Day in the Life. The Catholic in me wants to equate them with relics, but the GOOD Catholic in me knows I can't :) The men were not saints...clearly. But what they gave to music and to the world is kind of immeasurable. No?

I'll leave Laura to leave her comments about the whirlwind tour of the land of Cleve :)

For New Year's, it was back to DC for me and my friends from CA were in town. We decided to do one of those fancy New Year's parties- the kind where you pay lots of money and dress up and pretend you're rich for one night (cue Death Cab for Cutie lyrics here: "So everybody put your best suit or dress on. Let's make believe that we are wealthy for just this once", also lyrics from the same song as this blogpost).

Third Eye Blind were the house band for this event and while they were fun (yes, they played the hits. They HAD to. Who knows anything they've released since 1999? Not I.), I really think the all you could drink bar helped me enjoy them. I could not help but wish that they were a.) still relevant and/or b.) were Kings of Leon

Speaking of....Kings of Leon has a hipster clothing line!?! What?! I can't tell if this makes them incredibly artsy and innovative or sellouts. I know Laura wants to write about music and fashion, so I'll leave her to do so.

The NYE event also had multiple rooms with DJs and I did get SUPER excited when Ke$ha was played. So much so that I texted Laura with the very vague message of just: "KE$HA!" I then had to kindly explain to her the next day that No, Ke$ha herself did not make an appearance, it was just me expressing my excitement for the song through drunk texting.

Also, I do remember enjoying moreso than usual the overplayed "Empire State of Mind" (love JayZ and Alicia Keys, but my God, are the stations killing that song for me). I didn't know it would be fun to dance to, and it still may not be, but in that current state I was in, it was the perfect song to ring in the new year with. (I like to play 'air-piano' to it. It's like 3 half-steps down and up over and over again)

So now that we have rung in the new year- what's in store for 2010!? Any predictions?! Here's what I am looking forward to:

a.) seeing how is Lady Gaga going to top 2009? More music? More outfits? I hope so.
b.) I think I also would, indeed, like to hear more from Ke$ha. Not because she's any kind of talented, but because it's deliciously bad for me. And those are the kind of resolutions I make...
c.) live podcasting and/or blogging the Grammys with my girl Laura

I hope 2010 will NOT bring me:

a.) NO MORE PEAS, PLEASE! Black Eyed or anything else. I need something new in my diet.
b.) a little less auto-tune, thank you.
c.) Rhianna drama.

Bring it on, 2010! You and your new digits that I still can't seem to write correctly on checks or any important document....

Happy New Year, all!
Peace,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment