Monday, November 16, 2009

Songs I DO Have Reason to Like

It occurs to me that I, we, perhaps have been a little negative on this blog in recent posts. Other than our love for Lady Gaga and a few cute boys, I feel like I haven't given pop songs that do stand the test of time their due, especially those from recent years. Clearly Michael Jackson, Madonna, and the like have past the test, but as my dad once asked me, 'Whom do you think will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame from your generation?' Hmmm...good question. Certainly not the Black Eyed Peas (Boom, Boom, OW...eh?)

Again- picture it. Me. In my car. Listening to the radio. "Bleeding Love" by Leona Lewis from 2007 (?) ish comes on. I think to myself, 'this is a good song'. A song I have reasons to like:

1.) the beginning reminds me of the organ intro to "Faith" by George Michael. An amazing song that everyone likes. I don't know anyone who does not like that song. If you don't, whether you have a soul may be in question.

2.) Leona has the chops of Mariah or Beyonce and totally uses it in this song. Some of her more recent songs are somewhat forgettable. Eh, not somewhat. I really can't remember the names of her more recent songs. But she sounds re-uhl good on this one.

3.) It makes for a great So You Think You Can Dance routine :)

4.) Apparently it was/is written by Jesse McCartney? which is reason alone to like it because that boy's songs aren't generally good. 'Beautiful Soul' I will give him, but 'Leaving' and 'Body Language' of late you can literally sing on top of one another, pretty sure, and every note is the same.

So that's my love fest for that song. Another song I want to love all over is...

"Use Somebody" Kings of Leon.
1.) I loved this song from the first second I heard it. And then I heard it again. And again. Which leads me to say: I WISH IT WERE NOT SO OVERPLAYED. I first heard this song on a rock station and I was shocked to hear it recently on pop and slow jam stations. But I guess that it is proof that it is likeable, though.

2.) Dude's voice makes me swoon like my 'Soul-ja Boys' from previous posts. He can use this somebody. Just saying.

3.) This song is very different than "Sex on Fire" and some of the other songs on their album that are more hardcore rock. Love the diversity.

Which leads me to think of another over played song that I loved from first listen with driving beats....

"Viva La Vida" Coldplay
1.) It's just a good song. Coldplay is one of the bands I told my dad may make it to the Rock Hall from 'my generation'. They are consistant and inventive, yet mainstream (other bands I hope to see inducted in the Rock Hall when their time comes include: Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Jason Mraz, Jay Z, T.I., Justin Timberlake,Lady Gaga...wishful thinking?? What are your thoughts?)

2.) The instrumentation is undeniably unique and good. From the bass drum beats to the bells- it's just unique and makes you tap your toes at the same time.

3.) Coldplay wore costumes to honor the anniversary of Sgt. Pepper. And I heart the Beatles. Done.

Well, I don't know about you, but all this love-festing is making me almost nauseous. This blog post is getting borderline Despereaux cute now, right? We're going to be making a Pixar movie before we know it, so imma gonna stop. Feel free to leave posts of some more recent songs we have reason to like. I challenge you to find something decent from 2009...it's been a tough year...barring my girl Gaga (Viva la Vida de Gaga! ;)

Peace,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment