Sunday, November 15, 2009

Mini-Blog: Songs I Would've Declined

This is a short list of songs, that, had I been the recording artist being pitched them, I would have said no to. Yet, still became huge hits. Shows what I know.

Not that I don't love them. Because I do.

1. Shakira's "She-wolf": Imagine this: You're a sexy, internationally-known pop star who's been on the radar for a while. Your management approaches you and pitches you a song that requires you to howl like a wolf. What would YOU do?

2. Rihanna's "Umbrella": The mundane subject of this song was saved only by repeating the last two syllables of it. Well done, Rihanna. Never would've called it.

3. Beyonce's "Bootylicious": We can all get behind (heh) the girl-power message of celebrating a curvaceous womanly figure. But referring to your extra poundage as "jelly"? No, B. I'm not ready for it.

4. Britney Spears' "Circus": Song about commanding the room with your presence using the metaphor of being a circus ringleader. I get it. It's cute. Clever, even. But the line 'I'm like a performer/the dance floor is my stage'? Uh, Brit? Last time I checked, you ARE a performer. And you are, in fact, dancing on a stage.

5. Fergie's "My Humps": ... 'nuff said.

-llv

No comments:

Post a Comment