Tuesday, November 10, 2009

It All Started With a Tweet or #songsihavenoreasontolike

That's right folks, it all started with a tweet. This blog, in fact, was spawned from a direct message. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I was listening to radio one day, as I often do, and suddenly this fun, vibrant, repitious song came on with a catchy beat and lots of synthsizers. And now I have just described about every pop song ever in existence.

I've already proclaimed my love for pop music that started with songs that fit the description above. Some songs fall into this category but they still have those one or two things that make them stand out (see my post: 'Ode to Hall and Oates' below). Some , however, will never be that special. They just sound like every other pop song. And for these songs I've come up with the category:

"Songs I have no reason to like" or, as I've created a trending topic on twitter: #songsihavenoreasontolike (make it catch on, people! Trend it now!)

These songs really have NOTHING that make them stand out, they just sound like every other pop song out there, and yet....I still find myself loving them, though I know I shouldn't. I will now make a case for three such current tunes:

"Down"- by Jay Sean.
This song is actually the one I was listening to when I began thinking about all this nonsense. I had to tweet Laura to ask: Why do I like this song? She mentioned that it is catchy. But is that enough, popbloggers? Is that enough?

If you've read my recent post on Colbie Callait, I rip the poor girl's lyrics apart. But yet, I find it justifiable for a man, who probably hasn't written a sentence, let alone a song, in his life to rhyme "down with down" and "only with lonely".

I know it's not fair. But the truth is, you just can't butterfly to "Realize". That's all I got.

"She-Wolf"- Shakira
The first time I heard this song, I think I literally laughed. I mean, the woman HOWLS IN THE SONG. I've got issues with Shakira anyways. The woman's voice just bothers me. I've been told it sounds better in other languages, and that also kind of bothers me about myself that I need her to sound 'more American' but political correctness isn't a fun topic for this blog, so Imma gonna stop.

There are some justifiable things in the song, though, that DO set it apart from other pop songs, I will say. The funky guitar riffs for one. No, they aren't remarkable. But they are funky. FUN-ky, ergo, FUN.

Also, unlike our friends Jay Sean and Colbie, Shakira happens to be a GREAT lyricist. And by GREAT, I mean RIDICULOUS. And I quote:
"Darling, this is no joke, this is lycanthropy" What the hell is lycanthropy? I don't know either, so this leads me to believe she must be a genius. (lycanthropy definition= a deluision in which one imagines oneself to be a wolf or other wild animal. No really, dictionary.com it)

"I'm starting to feel a little abused like a coffee machine in an office." YES. WIN. I love coffee! People in an office drink ALOT of coffee. Thank you, Shakira. You are painting a vivid picture for me here.

So I think Shakira wins based on the lycanthropy lyric alone, how about you?

"Good Girls Go Bad"- Cobra Starship feat. Leighton Meester
UGH. I did NOT want to like this song when I heard it. I mean, their name is Cobra Starship, which makes me think of the 80's which I know you are saying, 'but Julia, you love the 80's!" And the thing is, I DO. But having some kind of teen emo band (I don't know if they are really emo or even teens, but they sound teeny-bopperish to me) name themselves something that makes the 80's seem RETRO, I am NOT okay with. I am NOT ready for the 80's to be RETRO!!! Humph.

And don't even get me started on Leighton Meester. I know Gossip Girl is like the new 90210 or something, but I just don't care.

But, all that said, I turn this song up everytime. And I can't even justify it. I don't know what it is. And for that, it's a song I TRULY have no reason to like.

Can you help me? What are your current #songsihavenoreasontolike ? I know Laura recently tried to persuade me with '3' by Britney, but I can't get behind that. No pun intended.

Feel free to comment. Meanwhile I'll be singing, "Baby are you down, down, down, down, down- DOWN!" (for no reason).

Peace,
Julia

2 comments:

  1. This is Laura, editing my answer to why do you like "Down":

    It contains the lyric
    "I'm down like the economy."

    Pop music as a gauge of history: Bam!
    I feel another post coming on... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have something else to say.
    Julia, I'm so glad I found you in life.

    I, too, (before even reading your post) a) took it upon myself to dictionary.com lycanthropy, and b) laughed the first time i heard the howl in she-wolf.

    if you don't believe me, check out my draft on "Songs I Would Have Passed Up as a Pop Star (Yet Became Huge Hits)". if you still don't believe me, check the date on that draft.

    Julia, we were meant to be.

    ReplyDelete