Monday, December 20, 2010

Why I love 2010

Wow, y'all. 2010 was kind of amazing. Nothing super significant or groundbreaking, but just fun stuff in music and in life in general. Do you agree?

Some of the reasons that 2010 was one of my favorites:

- Bruno Mars & B.o.B. Separate and together.

- THE RETURN OF USHER!!!

- Drake and his fancy-ness.

- Sara Bareilles' sophomore album- nothing sophomoric about it.

- "Deuces"- Chris Brown's redemption which had nothing to do with Chris Brown.

- indie returns from Arcade Fire AND The National! MY FAVESIES! Plus, they TOURED. AND I SAW THEM (saw Sara Barielles, too!).

Just saying, it was kind of an awesome year. Plus, I got snowed in with my bestie, lvd, got a new job that I can more than just tolerate but actually LIKE, and only went to TWO weddings NEITHER of which I had to buy a dress for! I WIN!

Also, Very Mary Kate kind of made my year. My roommate and I even dressed up like MK and Ashley for Halloween:

So where to begin? Okay, I loved everything Bruno Mars and B.o.B did this year. I was, of course, introduced to both of them together with this song


Then Bruno sang another hook on "Billionaire" with Travie McCoy, then every girl's dream song "Just the Way You Are" (because what girl doesn't like to be told she's perfect?) and I even kind of like his latest: "Grenade" just because his voice is very pretty and passionate.

I don't love that "Marry You" song that Glee covered, but I do love Glee, ergo, I kind of like that song.

As for B.o.B, he had Airplanes with Hayley Williams and while it was SO overplayed, it had this part 2 version feat. Eminem and we know everything Eminem touches in 2010 has turned to gold, so...

Now for USHER. SCIENCE FACT: I love Usher. I know that has nothing to do with Science, but my friend Lo of @elandlo uses that phrase all the time and you should read their blog because they are hysterical.

Anywho, I was watching Behind the Music on VH1 on like the ONE and ONLY night I had to myself this year (at least since mid-way through the year when I decided to become a first year teacher!) and it was on USHER. And it reminded me of my love for him. I immediately downloaded every song since like 1996 and I do not regret my decision one bit.

LVD and I are a little disappointed that Usher is so autotuned these days 'cause he DOESN'T NEED TO BE but I'm just glad he's back. The DJ does indeed have me falling in love again...just saying.

Since I am a teacher now, I try to be the cool fun teacher and incorporate pop culture and just pray to God that I am not emulating Gwenyth Paltrow's character on Glee.

One day some of my students came up to me saying: "Ms. S! Ms. S! We are going to see Drake this weekend!"

I respond (without missing a beat): "Nails done, hair done, everything did?"

And they immediately respond: "Oh, you Fancy, huh?!"

It was a proud moment for me. I love this song.

Okay, so LVD and I have written before of our love for S.B. and how we want to be her. Her second album came out this year and I think I can speak for LVD when I say we were a little afraid for Sara. We just loved "Little Voice" so. much. Would the second attempt be as good?

I heard "King of Anything" on the radio and cheered. It was a hit! But would the whole album be as good? I admit, when I downloaded it, I wasn't in love with every song. BUT THEN I SAW HER LIVE. And it was amazing.

LVD told me Sara B. had written Kaliedoscope Heart with live performance in mind. After seeing her perform these songs live, the album made sense to me. Well done, Sara B. Well done.

Speaking of returns...I don't think anyone was hoping for a Chris Brown return anytime soon. But I was driving home one day listening to the R&B station which I am known to do from time to time and I hear Drake, Kanye, and Andre 3000 drop all these crazy-funny-awesome verses and I am like, "what is this song?! And how soon can I download it?!" I didn't know who was singing the hook, and I really didn't care. Come to find later it is actually a Chris Brown song. Oops.

Deuces Up, Chris Brown. Thumbs Up as well.

It was wayyyy smart on his part to make his come back with these heavy hitters (no pun intended!! Okay, maybe) because who is hotter than Drake or Kanye right now? And everybody loves Andre 3000, right? Who doesn't love "Hey Ya?"

Lastly, I've said time and time again I love me some indie rock. Two of my fave bands- The National and Arcade Fire- came out with outstanding albums (High Violet and The Suburbs respectively)and then they toured. I don't know what else to say...

This year ruled. My hopes for 2011? Justin Timberlake finally makes a new album and T.I. can be released from (and stay out of!) jail. That would make my year!

Happy holidays, Happy 2010, and Happy New Year!

Deuces,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment