Thursday, December 2, 2010

Happy Birthday, Princess of Pop!


So my girl Laura has been all over and up and in this blog piece of late. Sniff, sniff... I'm so proud! You know what I've been doing? TEACHING. (Not that my girl Laura's not- she's also a teacher-but she's a veteran! She conducts choirs and bands in her sleep. AND she gigs on the side!). I'm new at this game. And you know what? First-year teaching is HARD. Who knew? (other teachers raise hands.. ) Well, NOW you tell me ;)

Instead of blogging I now have to use my creative energy and efforts to make learning FUN. Whatevs.

Actually, my students may not realize or appreciate it, but I like to think my being a pop culture geek does give me some cred in the classroom. I have, afterall, assigned multimedia projects and assignments involving Twitter.

But, I digress.

You guys...Britney Spears turns 29 today!

What kind of pop blog would this be without honoring she who embodies all that is pop? The sweet, innocent Mickey Mouse upbringing? The mid-drift bearing provocative school-girl virgin turned bad girl? The slutty, scandalous reality show with loser back-up dancer husband/baby daddy???

I mean...

her vocal abilities? Dance? Moves?

Just kidding. She's an icon.

Like Madonna before her, she hasn't made her name based on her vocals or songwriting, but rather- her image, her commitment to performance, and ability to re-invent herself in ways that still both draws people's attention and gets them to buy records.

I don't know how they do it. I scoffed when Brit-Brit came out with a  "greatest hits" album at age 23 in 2004..but, by God, it is a party crowd pleaser. Or an in my car on the way to work pleaser. Or a I like to pretend I'm Britney a la Brittany Pierce in Glee pleaser (I totes love the Santana/Brittany "Me Against the Music" So brill).

Cheers to you, Brit-Brit! We are the same age! Here's to 29 going on fabulous :)

Peace,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment