Monday, December 14, 2009

Lists

It's the middle of December which means Christmas carols, shopping, cookies, New Year's Plans, etc.

IT IS ALSO THE END OF THE DECADE. I KNOW. WHAT?! Who saw that coming??

And so, it is also the time for COMPILING LISTS. Lists of 'the best of this' and 'the best of that'.

And so, the Pop Blog brings you: Julia's Best of Lists (Hopefully, to be followed by Laura's ;)

This list is NOT extensive, but they are the FIRST albums that came to my head when I thought back on the music that got me through a decade.

*I feel I should also make a disclaimer that though this is a "pop blog", my secrets will soon be revealed- I really only spend my $$ on indie rock! That said, I'm sure you will also find some pop albums as well.

JULIA'S ALBUMS OF THE DECADE THAT SAW HER THROUGH COLLEGE AND POST-COLLEGE YEARS
20. Britney- Britney Spears- I can just picture that sweet, innocent pre-K. Fed girl on the album cover now...

19.Little Voice- Sara Bareilles- This album got me through 2007-2008 for sure, and I know is something Laura will agree with me on!

18.- Hot Fuss- The Killers- will forever remind me of my 2005 trip to Spain, England, and France- they were playing it there too!

17.- Room For Squares- John Mayer- which college student didn't play this album out?

16.- Give UP- Postal Service- Again, which college student didn't play this album out??

15.- Is This It?- The Strokes- This album introduced me to my love/hate relationship with hipsters...

14.- Lifted or The Story is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground- Bright Eyes- this album is crazy and I love it.

13.- In Rainbows- Radiohead- Thom Yorke does it again. I don't know how a band can re-invent themselves so many times...

12.-The Boxer- The National- pretty sure one of my best purchases of 2007.

11.- Breakaway- Kelly Clarkson- I prentened to BE Kelly every morning in 2004-05, I think...

10- FutureSex/Love Sounds- Justin Timberlake- my boyfriend came out with an album all his own, and it didn't suck! I was so proud

9.- Songs About Jane- Maroon 5- I still play this album out

8.- Picaresque- The Decemberists- this album introduced me to this band and I am so grateful.

7.- Funeral- Arcade Fire- I can't say enough good things about this album

6.- Plans- Death Cab for Cutie- #2 fav Death Cab Album...

5. The Fame- Lady Gaga- I know girlfriend just came out with this late in the decade, but she has earned her spot here in my book.

4. The Crane Wife- The Decemberists- I didn't think it could get better than Picaresque. Then it did.

3- No Strings Attached- NSYNC- an album that started a relationship with 5 singing, dancing men and me in my head....wait, what??

2.- Transatlanticism- Death Cab for Cutie- Best. Album. Ever.

1.- I couldn't pick just one album from this band, so I pick all three:
Oh, Inverted World, Chutes Too Narrow, Phantom Limb- The Shins. My band of the decade, apparently!


ALBUMS OF 2009- Again, sorry, not alot of pop here...

10. Merriweather Post Pavillion- Animal Collective
9. Fearless- Taylor Swift
8. I and Love and You- The Avett Brothers
7. It's Blitz- Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
6. The Hazards of Love- The Decemberists
5. Hold Time- M. Ward
4. Dark Was the Night- Various Artists
3. Monsters of Folk- Monsters of Folk
2. Fame Monster- Lady Gaga
1. Middle Cyclone- Neko Case

And Julia's Top Downloaded Singles of 2009...here are where the guilty pleasures lie. I don't always drop for the album, but the singles may or may not be download worthy...

5. Heads Will Roll- Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs
4. Chillin'- Wale feat. Lady Gaga
3. The Climb- Miley Cyrus (I shutter to write the name...note, I only downloaded this after I heard the Kelly Clarkson version with her back-up singers)
2. Bad Romance- Lady Gaga
1. I Gotta Feeling- Black Eyed Peas

There, you have it, folks! My 'lists'! Also, items for honorable (or dishonorable) mention:

2008 albums that still made their way into my life-soundtrack in '09:
5. I am Sasha Fierce- Beyonce
4. Paper Trail- T.I.
3. 808 and Heartbreaks- Kanye West
2. Circus- Britney
1. Only By the Night- Kings of Leon

And albums that didn't make it to my 'best of decade' but may or may not have gotten stuck on repeat in my cd player...

3. Autobiography- Ashlee Simpson (pre-SNL appearance, of course)
2. Take it All Away- Ryan Cabrera- poor guy. He's actually talented, but since he dated the aforementioned Simpson, I don't think he gets credit. And that hair...
1. Celebrity- Nsync- To be clear- I AM NOT ASHAMED OF MY OBSESSION WITH NSYNC OR BOY BANDS. But this just wasn't their best...

Phew! That's a lot of music for one post! I could go on and on, but I do want to enjoy the rest of this decade, so bye, bye, bye for now! ha! It never gets old..

Peace,
Julia

2 comments:

  1. check out our friend Pokey's list: http://www.facebook.com/#/notes/mike-tenney/best-albums-of-the-decade/225591911504

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also want to give Dirty Projectors' "Bitte Orca" a shout out for 2009- it's some good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete