Monday, December 7, 2009

Grammy Poetry, Part II

Julia, you are a genius.

I was so excited about the possibilities when Julia suggested we write our Grammy posts in poetry form. I'm a songwriter. I love words. I am ALL ABOUT more poetry posts.

Consider yourselves warned. All six of you.

Wanting to be informed pop-blogger (That just rolls off the tounge, doesn't it?), I headed over to Grammy.com to educate myself. To clarify the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year, while they are both about singles, is a difference in perspective. "Record of the Year" is an engineering award having to do with the recording, mixing, and mastering itself. The award "Song of the Year" goes to those who wrote the song. So even if you see a lot of crossover between those two categories of nominees, (PokerFace, Use Somebody, and You Belong With Me are all nominated for both) keep that difference in mind.

Not feeling equipped to judge Record of the Year, naturally I'm focusing my poetry on the Best Song category.

BEST SONG - a Limmerick

There's a song by the band Kings of Leon
So oft played many think it should be gone
But I risk losing friends
(Relationships mend.)
I turn it up and sing loudly along.

BEST SONG - Haiku

Caleb Followill's
voice turns a key in my core
Use THIS somebody.

(Kudos to Julia for the "use this somebody" reference in one of her earlier posts. It's perfect and it had five syllables.)

Dear Miss Taylor Swift
Your songs make me think that I'm
A high school freshman.

Read my poker face
Fashion and piano playing
Are always in vogue.

The Single Ladies
Know when that song is playing
Kurt from 'Glee' can score.

Now how about this "Pretty Wings" by Maxwell business? I'm ashamed to admit when I saw it on the list, I didn't recognize it, or him. Upon further research (read: Wikipedia) of him, I found out that the man is a 12-time Grammy nominee, but he's never won a single one. His history with his labels involves his projects being shelved, his album release dates being delayed, or releasing fewer tracks than originally planned. This year's album marks Maxwell's return from a long hiatus from the music industry, and it has collected six nominations. I wish you well, dude.

I headed on over to YouTube to check him out. The man can sing, but I don't think this song is a contender against the other nominees. Keep your chin up, Maxwell. And watch out for levitating women.

To finish, my roommate asked me what I was doing. I replied "Working on my Grammy haikus." Knowing Julia's and my infatuation with Lady Gaga, he spontanesouly replied (counting syllables on fingers, no doubt):

"Oh Lady Gaga...
How Your Shows Are So Crazy
I Love You... A Lot."

Well said, Johnny D. Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment