Friday, October 16, 2009

Ode to Hall and Oates

For Julia, it started on April 22, 1981. 'Kiss on My List' by Hall and Oates was number one, and no song could be more fitting to top the charts. Julia was born to two wannabe hippies who had succumbed to the 80s and traded in their Peter, Paul, and Mary for some Michael Jackson. Beatles albums filled the house, along with 'Thriller', and a year and a half later, this family welcomed another daughter, Janet... on a day which 'Maneater' was no. 1. Coincidence? I think not.

So, I'm Julia. And I love pop. It's hard to explain sometimes what I love about it, that's why I'm glad Laura suggested we started this blog.

I really do think it started at birth. It's in my BLOOD. Speaking of blood...You know how sometimes you're body is just craving protein and then you give it a tuna fish sandwich and it just seems to tell you, 'THANK YOU'? NO? Well, to this day, that's how my body reacts to really awesome pop music. And I believe I have Hall and Oates to thank.

It's a tense day at work, you're driving back in the car in gridlock traffic, and then suddenly the first chords for 'Private Eyes' comes on and my body just breathes a sigh of relief. If you're me, you literally utter "yessss...."

Hall and Oates wins everytime. I'm here to tell you why:

1.) It has the most basic chord progressions ever. Usually in major keys. This is what makes pop music pop, after all. A win everytime.

2.) It has SYNTHESIZERS. Being a child of the 80s, this is part of what makes my body breathe that sigh of relief. It just makes me happy.

3.) It goes really well with ridiculous videos (You Tube wouldn't let me copy 'Keyboard Cat'. Just search it for yourself: Keyboard Cat + Hall and Oates= perfection. You'll thank me later).

4.) Only in Hall and Oates can lyrics like- "ooooh here she comes. Watch out boy, she'll chew you up" and "No Can Do"- be made to sound NORMAL and socially acceptable.

5.) Other people agree with me. Lately, movies choose H & O for their montages (see 'The Wedding Singer' and '500 Days of Summer')

I could go on and on, but we have much more pop music to talk about. Just know, that for Julia, it all started with an H & an O.

3 comments:

  1. Ever since seeing Starsky and Hutch I've secretly wanted Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson to team up for a Hall and Oates biopic...

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, that is most likely the best. idea. ever. Please pitch that to Paramount or someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HUGE WIN for H&O!! Let's join the cause!: http://bit.ly/2Vnql4

    ReplyDelete