Saturday, October 31, 2009

If you just Realize what I just Realized...

Then you'll see Colbie Caillat brings out the inner 12 year old school girl in me.

I really am indifferent about Caillat's music, though I may talk myself into a opinion through the course of this blogpost. It happens. The whole stream of consciousness thing. I open up a laptop and/or my mouth and words just come out. Works better when you have a delete button, though.

Is it weird that I remember the first time I heard 'Bubbly'? Well, there actually are probably a lot of things weird about the whole scenario (CONVENT. cough, cough. Wait, what?? yeah, you can read more about that here . Shameless Plug. See what I did there?)

Anyways, I was in a movie theater in St. Louis about 2 years ago and it was one of the songs they kept playing while we were waiting for the film to start and answering those 'Pop Quiz' questions (ie- what music video did Courtney Cox star in before she was a star in Friends? Then the answer is all jumbled up and you have to unscramble it: ANCDGNINIETHRKDA a: 'DANCING IN THE DARK') Weird that I know that too, right?

I remember kind of liking the song and thinking to myself she would probably be the next thing. Then I found out the name of the song was 'Bubbly'. It was kind of downhill for me from there.

Caillat isn't the best lyricist, nor really complex songwriter in my mind. Now, I may be a musician, but I am NOT a songwriter. The guys in the band that I was in in high school/college will tell you that. They mocked any attempt I made. It's a completely different gift. So that being said, I do have respect for Caillat that she writes music. That is, I think she writes her own stuff. They all sound the same, so I'm guessing it's her pattern...

But I'll be darned if the lyrics she does write, even if not the greatests rhyme schemes ('starts in my nose, toes, goes, know'...yeah, we get it. You also just rhymed 'realize' with 'realize'. congrats.), bring out the inner 12 year old Julia who was secretly pining about the boy next door or her best guy friend (the Friend Zone is a TERRIBLE place, my friends!) and Colbie Caillat seems to know this as well.

It's like she's writing my feelings from that junior high era. Except probably how as I would write them as an actual 12 year old which means, not well. I may even have written more creatively at 12.

Also, the whole me not being a songwriter thing, even given that, I still probably could have composed her new one- what is it, 'Falling For You'? Yeah. Basic chord progressions. Same 12 year old crush theme...there's a pattern.

Again, great respect for songwriting. Great respect. And she obviously taps into something that I do 'realize' for myself... But when 'Can You Count Me In?' is probably the most clever part of the Bubbly song??

Sorry to burst your inner school girl bubble.

Guess I have gone ahead and formed an opinion, haven't I? I knew it would happen!
Peace,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment