Monday, January 31, 2011

Celebrating the 30th Anniversary of Justin Timberlake

So... math is hard. And I'm not sure if the subject heading actually expresses what I want to say. What I really want to say is today is Justin Timberlake's 30th birthday and I'm celebrating.


My love affair with Justin started briefly in 1998 when I went to my first Nsync concert Senior Year in high school. I had seen Justin on the MMC (Mickey Mouse Club- DUH) back in '94, but I was still partial to the original members (like those from the short lived pop band "The Party". Remember them? I played that cassette tape OUT:



I later lived my dream of seeing one of the original members live when I saw Dee Dee Magno in a national tour of "Wicked". Yes, I = geek)

Anyways, back to Nsync. My friend and I waited in line to get tickets the morning of our senior Homecoming dance instead of getting our hair did. Britney Spears was the opening act and it. was. amazing. I had no idea what this pop prince and princess had in store for us in the '00s.

Nsync followed me to college and my friends and college roommate will tell you that obsession was at its height in 2000-2001. Justin lived on my cinderblock walls (as well as his bandmates. If I am honest, Lance was my *favorite*, which makes sense since I seem to have a pattern as *that* girl who falls for gay men. Sigh. Gay men and I just have so much in common! Broadway showtunes! Cute boys! Clothes! Fashion! Double sigh).

My heart was broken even before Lance came out of the closet when in 2001-2002 (about the same time Lance announced he was going to be trying to fly to space...oy...) Nsync went their separate ways.

I held my breath when Justin's solo album was released. Would it be good? Or would my idol be the laughing stock of pop culture?

When I heard the guitar riffs for "Like I Love You" complete with the rap break from Clipse- I knew my boy would be okay.

I obsessively watched and showed all my friends the "Cry Me a River" video (pssst...it was about Britney cheating! And it was HOT. Justin? In the rain? Yes, please)

Then there, of course, he brought "Sexy Back" a couple years later and the world fell in love with the man I always knew had an impecible sense of comedic timing (what? I did. I had endless hours of footage of taped Nsync appearances on every talkshow circa 2000. I knew he had "it" ;) with his numerous SNL guest spots.

I hope Justin's 30th year brings A NEW ALBUM ALREADY. Humph.

This year is MY 30th year too. Whatdoyasay, old friend? Can you make my 30th year dreams come true? Sexy Back Reprise...please?

Peace,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment